Idea for a security program

On 12/27/06, David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> wrote:

> 2) Does such a tool already exist?  It might be fun to write, but I have
> better things to do with my time if one already exists.

You may want to take a look at BFD (Brute Force Detection) [1]. I know
of an admin who was very happy with it. My understanding is that it
parses logs files and adds entries to its own iptables list, using APF
(Advanced Policy Firewall) [2]. I haven't been able to get it set up
with vsftpd, as it didn't come with a recipe for it, and my Perl
skills are meager.

[1] http://www.rfxnetworks.com/bfd.php
[2] http://www.rfxnetworks.com/apf.php
--