CLI "Tape" backup utilities???

Gentlemen;

I am in the process of setting up a small farm (4-5) of Ubuntu web
server machines.  This time I am dispensing with the GUI's.

In the past I've been using Storix for my backup suite with reasonably
good results.  But, I would like something that is a little more
portable and can be run from the command line to both make, view and
restore the tapes.

I am aware of the usual array of available "linux" facilities (amanda,
arkeia, etc) but I am curious as to what others may be using for this
purpose.  Ease and reliability are my main concern.  Oh, and did I
mention Free?  Honestly, I am willing to pay if the product/utility is
worth it.  But few of them really are.

I would appreciate your ideas and input on this?

Thanks,

bobmct

ps: And, can anyone advise as to how one can determine the block length
and files on a given tape with available utilities?  (on AIX I'd use
tcopy followed by dd).

believed to be clean.