Boston Linux Meeting Wednesday, January 17, 2006 Dynamic Network Mapping (PBNJ + Nmap)

When: January 17, 2006 7:00PM (6:30 for Q&A)
Topic: Dynamic Network Mapping (PBNJ + Nmap)
Moderators: Josh Abraham, Northeastern University
Location:  MIT Building E51 Room 372
Note: This location has changed since last month.

An overview of existing network mapping tools and limitations,
including a discussion of dynamic network mapping.

Session from LinuxWorld Expo San Fran, Aug 2006: This presentation will
first cover existing network mapping tools along with their
limitations. Then I describe our proposed new technique for handling
the information from network mapping scans. This information is first
stored in a database. Using this technique one is able to extract the
information that is most useful about the machines that have been
scanned through standard database queries. For example, monitoring
services availability and temporal changes becomes straightforward. We
come to the conclusion that using such a technique leads to a more
effective method of network scanning.

For more information, parking and directions go to the BLU main site.
http://www.blu.org.
Note that our primary web server went down last night, and our backup
site is http://web.blu.org.

Note that the best place to park is in the parking lot in front of the
building on Amherst St.

 --

Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group