speeding up OpenOffice?

On 1/17/07, Seth Gordon <sethg at ropine.com> wrote:
> Is there some trick, some
> --disable-cruft option that I can set when recompiling the whole thing,
> that would make the experience less painful for her?

Compiling OO.o may be more work than you need.

1. Disable the JRE options if you don't need them: Tools, Options,
OpenOffice.org, Java, uncheck the "Use a Java runtime environment"

2. To speed up the load time, use QuickStart. It should be available
from the same source you got the OpenOffice.org software. This
preloads the software, which can be an issue with only 256 Mb of RAM.
ymmv.

3. Ensure you're running the most recent version. OOo seems to get
faster with each release.

Other's observerations that a memory upgrade may be the best thing. I
run with 1 Gb of RAM and use it often. I find the speed acceptable.
But it doesn't sound like you want to use OpenOffice. Others have
suggested some good alternatives.

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC