Raising PHP memory limit?

OK, on the face of it, this should be an easy question and answer.  Due to
various software requirements (for example, Gallery2) I need to raise the
memory limit for php from 8MB to 16MB.  Simple, right?  Just change the
memory_limit parameter in /etc/php.ini from 8M to 16M, restart httpd, and
you're off.  Well, not exactly.

As far as I know I'm not running into a CGI handler problem which would
require setting .htaccess; phpinfo
(http://www.the-leveys.us:6080/phpinfo.php) tells me that I'm using the
Apache handler.  It also tells me that after changing the .ini file and
restarting the web server that I'm still at 8M.  I don't find any
conflicting directives in any of the .ini files in /etc/php.d/ nor have I
found any other place which might override the setting I've given.  For what
it's worth, I've even specified 16M the long way (16777216) to no avail.

Does anyone here know what I'm missing?
 -Don

believed to be clean.