Plugin Bloat (speeding up OpenOffice?)

Martin Owens wrote:

Essentially is a feature of a capitalist society.
But, even at the kernel level, look at the number of different file systems
we support, such as ext2, ext3, reiserfs, JFS, XFS, Minix, FAT, NTFS, and
even JCSOFS. We need to support many different forms of comms, such as
Ethernet, wireless, and others. And, that also adds many different chipsets,

et. al. Then you have the different CPUs from the x86 to the 64-bit Alphas
and IA64s.

Yes but the kernel has modules, you can build as much of the features as you
want; where as OpenOffice doesn't work like that down at it's core
architecture. it could probably learn a lot from kernel devs. but would
require a rewrite I think.
No disagreement. I was just responding more to the overall bloat than to
OpenOffice per se. StarOffice was somewhat bloated long before Sun bought
it.

--
Jerry Feldman <Jerry.Feldman at algorithmics.com>
Algorithmics, Inc

proprietary to Algorithmics Incorporated and its affiliates
("Algorithmics").  If received in error, use is prohibited.  Please destroy,
and notify sender.  Sender does not waive confidentiality or privilege.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or
virus-free.  Algorithmics does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions.  Any commitment intended to bind Algorithmics must be reduced to
writing and signed by an authorized signatory.

believed to be clean.