system-config-display

The last couple of times we have tried to install Fedora 6 we have been
unable to make X-windows work. In all cases

    system-config-display

hangs with the (LCD) monitor displaying a message "Input not supported"
that is self generated, not from the computer. An hour on Google generates
the intelligence that LCD monitors aren't as fast as CRTs, and the
defaults for X are too fast. I haven't been able to glean any usefull
information on what to do about the problem, though. Among other
experiments we did try:

   system-config-display --set-hsync=40

and got as far as a display of a mouse pointer, but the system was hung. A
similar result happened with Ubuntu. These are servers, and no great
performance is required - VESA 800x600 would be fine. The video cards are
older PCI cards, but they appear to be correctly recognized.

We have been installing Linux on computers since the Kernel was at .92 and
never had so much trouble.

believed to be clean.