online simulcast of BLU meetings

Martin Owens wrote:
> Dwight E Chadbourne wrote:
>> I just noticed over at http://www.bostonphp.org/ they are using
>> https://skypecasts.skype.com/skypecasts/overview.html
>> for those who can't make it to the meetings.
>
> Do we have any way to pull it away from skype? as skype is a closed format...

I don't recall if I posted this shortly after starting this thread last
Fall, but I did some research and turned up at least one option:

The open source Gizmo Project provides free conference calling:
http://www.gizmoproject.com/conf-calling.html

Participants can connect via any SIP VoIP client, or use a regular phone
(at the expense of a long distance call).

According to this press release:
http://www.voip-news.com/art/9r.html

the underlying service is provided by:
http://www.freeconferencecall.com/prodfreeconferencecall.asp

   Free...conference calling...requiring only a name and an email
   address to receive an instant account. FreeConferenceCall will
   provide you with a dedicated dial-in number and an access code for
   our free teleconferencing services, which are ready for immediate
   use. ... Each free teleconferencing account accommodates 96 callers
   on an unlimited number of 6 hour conference calls. Long distance
   charges may apply, but there are no additional charges from
   FreeConferenceCall.com.

   FreeConferenceCall accounts also come with FREE conference call
   recording! So not only is the recording service free, it's
   accessible by phone or computer, with no additional charges for
   downloading. You can distribute, archive or even send recordings to
   your listeners via RSS and podcast - for FREE.

It's not clear whether the recording and RSS capabilities are available
to Gizmo users.

Myrle A Francis 2nd wrote:
> Excuse me if I misunderstand the terminology.. but isn't a skypecast a
> simulcast? and if so.. if I cant make the meeting for some reason, I'm
> probably not going to be able to watch the skypecast.

True, storing the audio so it can be time shifted is far more useful,
but real-time simulcast is also useful. (And usually if you can pull off
a simulcast, it's only a bit more work to get it recorded.)

On numerous occasions I've been tied up with work and other matters that
just don't permit getting to MIT in time for the meeting, but may have
permitted listening in between 7:15 PM and 8:30 PM. If you add in
weather conditions, traffic, and people who live/work a fair distance
from MIT, you have potentially quite a few people that would find a
simulcast useful.

Being at the meeting is ideal, but a simulcast is the next best thing,
as (if the mechanisms are available) it still provides the opportunity
to interact with the presenter (submit questions).

Hmmm...someone mentioned a BLU IRC channel a while ago. That could be
used for question submission, with the speaker directly observing or a
volunteer relaying the questions. (Though given how many people bring
laptops to the meetings, I can see it now...half the room would be
chatting on IRC and the speaker would be largely ignored. :-) )

  -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA