Apache2 many processes

I am setting up an apache2 server on gNewSense which is similar to
Ubuntu.  I am using the same configuration as my Debian Sarge.  I am
able to access my normal web site.   I am having the usual trouble
getting the Zope/Plone sites configured properly.  However this time
when I try to access a Plone site I receive the message
"You don't have permission to access / on this server".
When I perform
ps -aucx
I have about 55 Apache2 processes running
If I type
/etc/init.d/apache2 stop
and reissue
  ps -aucx
all of the process stopped.
if I start apache (/etc/init.d/apache2 start)
The same large number of Apache processes are running.
My debian system has 5 processes running for the same configuration of apache2

The following is from /var/log/apache2/error.log

[Sat Feb 03 16:35:36 2007] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
[Sat Feb 03 16:35:44 2007] [warn] module cache_module is already
loaded, skipping
[Sat Feb 03 16:35:44 2007] [warn] module disk_cache_module is already
loaded, skipping
[Sat Feb 03 16:35:44 2007] [warn] module proxy_http_module is already
loaded, skipping
[Sat Feb 03 16:35:44 2007] [notice] mod_python: Creating 32 session
mutexes based on 6 max processes and 25 max threads.
[Sat Feb 03 16:35:44 2007] [notice] Apache/2.0.55 (Ubuntu)
mod_python/3.1.4 Python/2.4.3 proxy_html/2.4 configured -- resuming
normal operations

>From what I can tell I only specify the above modules once in
/etc/apache2/modules-enabled
so I don't understand why they are being reloaded.

Does anyone have a suggestion why so many processes are running and
why it is reloading some of the modules.?

 After I understand why the large number of processes I will then try
to figure out why I receive the message about not having permission
to access / on the server

Thanks in advance
Jay

believed to be clean.