Novell could be banned from selling Linux

On 2/4/07, Robert L Krawitz <rlk at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Only a copyright holder can take someone to court for violation of a
> copyright license.  The FSF doesn't hold copyright to any of the Linux
> kernel that I'm aware of, and so would have no standing to go to
> court.  It would have to be one of more of the kernel developers suing
> over a violation of the kernel's copyright.  The FSF could take action
> if the copyright to any of the GNU tools were violated (since the FSF
> holds the copyright to the entire GNU toolchain).
>
> I read something else recently (don't remember just where) where Eben
> Moglen said that his words were taken completely out of context.

Eben was my lawyer during the PearPC/CherryOS GPL violation.  From
what I experienced conversing with him, he is a highly intelligent and
eloquent individual.  I'm sure he'll get his point across correctly if
he intends to :-)

But you are right.  It is not up to the FSF alone.  It really depends
on what the copyright holders want to do...
--
Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.