Mounting command for a USB creative zen device

I'm not sure which distro you use, but I think you can do this in a
fairly distro-generic way by taking advantage of custom udev rules.

If you take a look at /etc/udev/rules.d, you'll see a bunch of udev
configuration files that get applied in alphabetical order when devices
get added to the system.  In my case, I have a couple:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root  385 Dec  8 00:31 05-udev-early.rules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9.9K Dec  8 00:31 50-udev.rules

Create your own file, such as 49-custom-udev.rules so that it is applied
before 50-udev.rules.  From there, (sorry I don't have this off the top
of my head) create a rule such that every time your zen device is
attached, it is assigned either a constant /dev/<device> name or
symlink.  For example, udev can be configured to detect your zen device
by any/all of the information you provided below, and automatically
create a symlink to the device such as /dev/zen.

Once you know the permanent device name, you can use the standard mount
command, like:

mount -t vfat /dev/zen /media/MOUNT_POINT

or, even better, pmount on a system that supports it.

Hope this helps...and either way, I look forward to reading the other ideas.

-Danny Robert

Doug wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I am trying to use amarok to manage my music, and carry them around
> with my creative zen device.  Amarok wants to know the command.  I
> don't, but my desktop does, because it mounts it thinking its a
> camera.  I was able to find this in /proc/bus/usb/device:
>
> T:  Bus=04 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=03 Cnt=01 Dev#=  3 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
> D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=ff(vend.) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
> P:  Vendor=041e ProdID=413e Rev= 1.00
> S:  Manufacturer=Creative Technology Ltd
> S:  Product=Creative Zen Vision:M
> S:  SerialNumber=F1B6D69CC14D1055
> C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr=500mA
> I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 Driver=usbfs
> E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
> E:  Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
> E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   8 Ivl=1ms
>
> Given this information, can the proper mount command be constructed?
>
> Thanks,
> doug

believed to be clean.