comcast filtering web servers?

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 14:47 -0500, Larry Underhill wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Anybody else on this list that runs a server from their comcast cable
> modem drop? I have been running a vanilla apache instance on port 80 and
> ssh on a high numbered port for a long time (years). However, this
> morning, no joy.

Not surprising - they do this a lot.  Of course, they're not consistent
about it either - some places are filtered, others aren't.  In fact,
some places will flap between the two.  Yay Comcast.

<shameless plug>
The company I work for (Dynamic Network Services - aka DynDNS) offers a
free service that can help with this, called "WebHop".  It's a
redirection service.  The idea is that you set up apache on a high
numbered port, then set up a WebHop entry with a normal hostname.  When
a user hits the hostname from their browser, they get a redirect to your
system and port.

Take a look at http://www.dyndns.com/services/webredirect/webhop/ if
you're interested.
</shameless plug>