Ubuntu commercial support is the same as Vista Ultimate?!?!

Matt Shields wrote:
> No, I think everyone should use Linux, but if you're not willing to
> learn, don't complain about the support costs for those who have taken
> the time to learn.  When we have problems we take the time to research
> and if we don't have time we pay people who do know.
Comparison shoppers would differ, but read-on.

> The original email was complaining about the cost of Ubuntu support
> compared to Microsoft support.
Yes, but it was also the lack of comparable options to what Microsoft
offered, not just that their only option was as much as Microsofts most
expensive product.

> Linux
> will win on the merits of it's performance not on how much it costs
> for a support call.  if you want unbiased benchmarks I can tell you
> that the company I work for uses linux to host over 2.5 million
> domains, we use a mixer of Apache and Java for web and app servers,
> linux and iptables for firewalls, Linux Virtual Server for load
> balancing, and mysql for databases.  Open Source has worked very well
> for us, but my boss does not tolerate stupid people.

First, Linux can also lose for all sorts of reasons that have nothing at
all to do with it's performance, and one of those things can be it's
perceived cost. Just ask IBM (OS2/Warp), DrDos, NeXt, and BeOS. All of
those were, IMO, better than their competition, yet none are really
around today.

Second, you are describing a scenario that calls for Enterprise support,
whereas my original email describes individual support; the kind of
support that you get from a retail arrangement. I am really just
pointing out that the home-user doesn't seem to have a support option.
This is not something that Microsoft has overlooked, yet the Linux
distros seemingly have.

All said, I am more complaining that these are stumbling blocks to a
'wholesale' adoption of Linux. If that is not something that you wish
for, then I have no argument with you. If however, that is something
that you'd like to see, you can't just disregard 50% of the userbase
(no, I just made that number up - it's a wild guess, please don't flame
me for making up an arbitrary number for arguments sake) and expect to
succeed.
Thanks,
Grant M.
--