Parallel vs Serial speed

On 2/7/07, Tom Metro <blu at vl.com> wrote:
> At least the good news is that the new style interfaces isn't 10%
> slower. :-)

His test has not proved or disproved that!  It could be the case that
the PATA interface is actually faster, but the component connections
on the motherboard for PATA access are slowing it down by more than
10%.  And who knows, the SATA driver (sata_mv?) might be really
efficient and be pumping up the results of the test to make it appear
that SATA is faster.  And to take it one step further, how do we know
that the drive isn't defective in some way mechanically.  I know for a
fact that EMC rejects 90% of the drives that Seagate provides them for
data storage because they don't meet specs.  Effectively, the
consumers get the reject drives while EMC provides some QA for Seagate
:-)
--
Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.