Virtual Windows Servers on Linux laptop...

On 2/13/07, Grant M. <gmongardi at napc.com> wrote:
>     The questions are, has anyone on the list done this sort of thing,
> and will the 2k3 versions run on it? Also, is this the best way to do
> this, or are there better options?

A virtualization technology is the way to go.  Xen won't work unless
you modify Windows or have the VT extensions in your CPU.  I would
recommend VMware Server over VMware Workstation any day.  The only
difference is that Workstation has better graphics acceleration
support and multiple snapshots.  But it costs money.  VMware Server is
free and adds networking support for remote console management.  I
always install the tar.gz rather than the RPM because sometimes the
modules/configs are a little stale for your OS/patch levels.

And if you want a more open source approach, use VirtualBox.  It even
runs Vista if you have to and is a nice alternative to VMware when you
don't want closed source software on the host.  I believe it is based
somewhat on qemu, but adds a nice GUI tool for configuration and works
quite nicely actually.  I don't personally use it because I need the
VMware VIX programmable API.  However, I am sure it would work nicely
for you since you don't need automation capabilities...
http://www.virtualbox.org/
--
Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.