Streaming audio from CentOS 4.4?

Well, after spending way too much time last night trying to get this
working again, then giving up and going to sleep, this morning I ran a
last-minute query for Windows streaming server on google, came across
Windows Media Encoder, downloaded and installed it on my XP Home laptop,
attached my scanner to the mic input of the laptop, and it was configured
and worked in probably 5 or 10 minutes max.

Granted not a UNIX/Linux solution, but thought I'd relay my end results
and how they were obtained.

Scott

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Matthew Gillen wrote:

> Scott R Ehrlich wrote:
>> I've set up a streaming audio server, connecting my scanner at home to my laptop
>> running XP Home w/Ogg Vorbis and Icecast.  Then, at work, I use Realplayer to
>> listen during the day or when I'm at someone else's computer and want to
>> monitor activity and don't have a radio with me.    The Ogg/Icecast setup has
>> worked well under Windows.
>>
>> What would be the equivalent setup for Linux?   For Windows, it has been pretty
>> painless.   Is there the same amount of simplicity for Centos/Linux?
>
> There's a src.rpm on the icecast site.  You can build it for CentOS like so:
>
> $ wget http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/icecast/icecast-2.3.1-0.src.rpm
> (building rpms as root is generally bad practice, but I don't know how to set
> it up on CentOS "the right way", so either build it as root or look on google
> for rpmdev-tools or somesuch)
> # rpmbuild --rebuild icecast-2.3.1-0.src.rpm
> (check the last few lines of output to see where it wrote the fully-built rpm
> to, then install it)
>
> Matt

believed to be clean.