Raid 5 versus 3 computer backup

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 11:20:29AM -0500, Doug wrote:
> >Further, these results validate the Google File System's central
> redundancy concept: forget RAID, just replicate the data three times.
> If I'm an IT architect, the idea that I can spend less money and get
> higher reliability from simple cluster storage file replication should
> be very attractive.
>
> Based on this, I will rsync my data to a third box in the house, and
> rsync once a week. Any others use the 3 machine idea?

Suggestion:

- Set up a restricted root ssh key for the third box. man sshd
  and look at AUTHORIZED_KEYS FILE FORMAT for details on
  restrictions you can impose (such as only running one specific
  rsync command.)

- Use cron to schedule this automatically. Nightly is probably
  more appropriate than weekly.

- Have your clients push data to the backup box, rather than
  having it try to pull from them. That way you won't see lots
  of errors the night that you turn one of the clients off.

-dsr-

--

believed to be clean.