What happens at 6:30 am (besides that fetchmail seems to crash)?

    Tom> Do your fetchmail logs get rotated by logrotate? Perhaps the way
    Tom> logrotate is trying to restart it is no longer working.

It's more complicated than that.  It looks like if I have "set syslog"
in /etc/fetchmailrc, the fetchmail log stuff is written to both
mail.log and syslog.  syslog is rotated by cron.daily via sysklogd.
Running the restart command syslogd runs (/etc/init.d/sysklogd
reload-or-restart) doesn't seem to bother fetchmail.  I have not
figured out what rotates mail.log.

For last night, I put "set no syslog" into /etc/fetchmailrc, and
fetchmail seemed to still be running at 7, but I couldn't find a log
file anywhere, which makes me nervous.  So I have to back to "set
syslog".

I can't figure out how to make fetchmail write to a log other than
syslog (and mail.log).  I have tried "set logfile /var/log/fetchmail",
and that doesn't seem to do anything.

As far as what cron says about what it's doing when, it does send a
mail, but only when there are errors.  So this morning at 6:30, I had
one mail from man-db saying that a man page had a dangling link, but
nothing from logrotate or sysklogd.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011