SAN woes

Robert La Ferla wrote:
> I have a client who has a EMC SAN...with both NTFS
> and HFS+ partitions on it.  Problem is, the Windows clients cannot see
> the HFS+ partitions and the Mac OS X clients can read but not write to
> the NTFS partitions.
>
> I am wondering if there is some way we can get the Windows clients to
> see the HFS+ partitions.  Ideas?

You could turn the SAN into a NAS by inserting a UNIX or Linux box (or
cluster of them) in the middle, and have it export a network file
system, thus making the file system on the SAN transparent to the client
machines.

But presumably there is a reason why the company chose a SAN rather than
a NAS in the first place. The NAS approach may not meet the performance
requirements.

Another theoretical approach would be to use an open source file system
on the SAN that can be fully supported by all the client machines. For
example, I've found that it is far easier to get Windows machines to
support EXT2 file systems[1] than to get Linux machines to support the
proprietary NTFS. I don't know, but I'm betting there is EXT2 support
available for OS X.

Also, in the past year there have been some significant strides made in
support of NTFS for Linux (drivers that can reliably write to NTFS and
supposedly with good performance)[2][3]. It might be worth checking to
see where that currently is at, and whether anyone is working on porting
it to OS X.

  -Tom

1. http://www.fs-driver.org/
2.