March topic(s) for BLU

On 3/2/07, Matt Shields <mattboston at gmail.com> wrote:
> To Americans day/month sounds backwords, when we're talking about
> dates we say March 21st.  If you write that out it would be 3/21/2007.
>  But if you're not in the US, does it really matter?  Do you plan on
> coming here for that meeting?  I understand there are lots of people
> not in the Boston area on this list because it's a good list for the
> Linux community, but why do you care that the meeting is on 3/21 or
> 21/3?  If I were to join a UK mailing list I wouldn't demand that they
> follow US date standards.

It gets confusing when you say things like '...the meeting will be
11/10'.  Is that November 10 or October 11th?  You can never get it
wrong when you use a standard mathematical notation where most
significant digit is to the left as in 20071011, which makes more
sense.  It's always best to put your most significant digits first.
Think about the nightmare of a directory listing on your OS if you
didn't use this method and your filenames were ordered by date...
--
Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.