From: discuss-bounces at blu.org [mailto:discuss-bounces at blu.org] On Behalf
Of Dan Ritter
Sent: Friday, March 02, 2007 3:31 PM
To: Matt Shields
Cc: dsr-copies at tao.merseine.nu; Christoph Doerbeck; discuss at blu.org
Subject: Re: March topic(s) for BLU

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 03:20:03PM -0500, Matt Shields wrote:
> Martin,
> To Americans day/month sounds backwords, when we're talking about
> dates we say March 21st.  If you write that out it would be 3/21/2007.
> But if you're not in the US, does it really matter?  Do you plan on
> coming here for that meeting?  I understand there are lots of people
> not in the Boston area on this list because it's a good list for the
> Linux community, but why do you care that the meeting is on 3/21 or
> 21/3?  If I were to join a UK mailing list I wouldn't demand that they

> follow US date standards.

To this American living in Boston, 02/03/07 is far too ambiguous, and
causes nervousness.

What I would prefer is 20070302, which can be sorted nicely.
Hardly anyone seems to agree with me, though.

That's why when I write out dates for humans, I prefer to use a month
name or abbrev.

March 02, 2007, or 02 Mar or what-have-you, as long as it isn't
ambiguous.

-dsr-

--