Squid setup and log formats (was Re: March topic(s) for BLU)

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 18:30:49 -0500
> Bill Horne <bill at horne.net> wrote:
>

>> Speaking of which, how do I convert the time stamps in my squid log into
>> ISO date format? TIA.
>>
> I don't know the format of the time stamps. You can use Perl, Sed, or
> AWK. (I once wrote an AWK program to do just that for Polaroid).
>
>From
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SquidLogs#head-d8a3f53a199ba080400c2fa30581fec8db374141
:

"A Unix timestamp as UTC seconds with a millisecond resolution. "

That page also suggests the following script:

#! /usr/bin/perl -p
s/^\d+\.\d+/localtime $&/e;

... but what I want to know is if someone has done all the work before, since
I'm lazy and hate reinventing wheels. So, the question should be "Is there a
utility or script that converts Squid logs into human-readable form from
Squid native log format and lists only the first instance for each URL?".

You see, I just installed Squid to "solve" the problem of my
sixteen-year-old visiting sites I feel he
should not. Ergo, please tell me how to configure squid to restrict
access by user instead of by machine,
and how to set up a pre-approved list of sites, so that I can present
the young lad with an assortment
of pages which I feel are more appropriate for his current level of
maturity.

Thanks in advance.

Bill

--