Help me pick a CPU/Mobo

David Kramer wrote:
> I started discussing this at the last meeting.  I'm looking to migrate
> most of the guts of my current server to my daughter's computer.
>
> Right now I have a AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (with will be quite an upgrade
> from my daughter's current Celeron 466 or so).  It's almost always 95%
> idle or more.  But I just got MythTV up and running (next meeting,
> anyone?).  I have hardware encoding so recording isn't a problem, but
> when I need to transcode video with ffmpeg, it gets slammed.  And if I
> try to do that while it's recording, the box sometimes locks up cold and
> needs to be rebooted.

Heh. Time to move the goalposts.  Just like work.

We're now rethinking our computing needs, and have decided to give my
current laptop (3 year old IBM Thinkpad T42) to my daughter, and for me
to get a new laptop!!  Oh Joy!

So now I'm looking for a ~15" screen, "desktop replacement" laptop
(power/keyboard/screen more important than portable).  It would still be
cool to go dual core 64, though, since I'm still going to upgrade the
server soon to the same, and that way I'll be able to run the same
kernel/packages on both. Built in 802.11g is essential, bluetooth and
serial port would be nice.  Battery life less critical, but >1.5 hours
would be good.  It would also be nice to not get third degree burns on
my lap.

I know there's resource out there to find out about Linux compatibility
of laptops, Any personal recommendations from experience would be
excellent, though,

Thanks again, and sorry for the change in direction.  Since I'll still
be ugrading the server soon, it's not for nothing.

believed to be clean.