Help me pick a CPU/Mobo

   Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 22:26:15 -0400
   From: "Kristian Hermansen" <kristian.hermansen at gmail.com>
   Cc: discuss at blu.org

   On 3/24/07, David Kramer <david at thekramers.net> wrote:
   > So now I'm looking for a ~15" screen, "desktop replacement" laptop
   > (power/keyboard/screen more important than portable).  It would still be
   > cool to go dual core 64, though, since I'm still going to upgrade the
   > server soon to the same, and that way I'll be able to run the same
   > kernel/packages on both. Built in 802.11g is essential, bluetooth and
   > serial port would be nice.  Battery life less critical, but >1.5 hours
   > would be good.  It would also be nice to not get third degree burns on
   > my lap.

   I have owned an AMD64 laptop for a few years now.  I have an HP
   Pavilion ZV5270US wide-screen desktop replacement.  I can say that,
   IMHO, you will pay the price for wanting a "desktop-replacement"
   laptop.  It's heavy, bulky, hot, inefficient, and loud.  I get
   *maybe* an hour of battery life under most normal operating
   conditions.  I dread carrying it around with me.  It feels like I
   am carrying an elephant on my lap.  In contrast, I love my ThinkPad
   T42p.  It's light, efficient, and very Linux-friendly.

It's more than a little dated, but I'm very happy with my Dell
Inspiron 8200 with a 2.2 GHz P4-M CPU.  It has a particularly nice
screen (15" UXGA -- UXGA screens are still quite rare), it's very
serviceable inside, it can take up to 2 GB memory (it officially takes
1 GB, but it can actually take 2 GB), and it has a lot of
configurability.  It's also fully supported by Linux off the shelf --
no need for any proprietary drivers (including 3D graphics -- the ATI
M9000 graphics card that's available for it gives full acceleration
with XF86 7.1).  Battery life's good (over 3 hours with a pair of
batteries), and it runs cool.  They're plentiful on eBay, as are parts
for it.

The mini-PCI wireless card built into mine is an older one, but you
can get an Atheros card for it.

Of course, it isn't 64 bit.

Member of the League for Programming Freedom -- mail lpf at uunet.uu.net

--Eric Crampton