How can I have more loopback devices?

I have a script that attempts to mount all the .iso files in a
particular directory using the command:

           mount -o loop -t iso9660 <file>.iso /mnt/mountdir/<file>

At the moment, it will mount only 8 isos, and then it fails with the message:

   mount: could not find any free loop device

This is on an ubuntu edgy system.

Is the number of loopback devices configured somewhere, so that I
could change it to 12 instead of 8?  And is there a major disadvantage
to having lots of loopback devices mounted?  I bought my system new
last summer, so it's relatively modern although by no means bleeding
edge.

--
Laura (mailto:lconrad at laymusic.org , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	fax: (501) 641-5011