NOOOOOOOO

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 09:02:35 -0400 (EDT)
> gboyce <gboyce at badbelly.com> wrote:
>
>> Speakeasy has been purchased by Best Buy:
>>
>> http://www.speakeasy.net/press/pr/pr032707.php
> The upside of this is it is being run as a wholly owned subsidiary.

What worries me most about the press release is that it's all about
business, business, business. There is one passing nod to "tech-savvy
professionals"; aside from that, non-business customers never get
mentioned at all. It makes me wonder whether Speakeasy's future will
have them abandoning non-business customers altogether, leaving us at
the mercy of the cable/telco duopoly.

Now, it may be true that it would have happened anyway, whether or not
Speakeasy was bought by Best Buy or anybody else. The telcos have never
been thrilled about the idea of allowing third-party providers on their
lines; the thought of having to share control and profits with another
company seems to be anathema to them. Now that the FCC under the Bush
administration has deregulated such offerings, we might well see CLECs
(competitive local exchange carriers; i.e., companies that offer
services over lines provided by the RBOCs) forced out of business by
telcos that either refuse to sell them services at all or only offer
services at prohibitively high rates. Speakeasy's days as a consumer ISP
might end the day that Covad's existing contracts with the telcos do.

But then where do we go? I'm not thrilled about a future where my only
service choices are from companies that won't let me run my own servers,
block ports at their whim, cut off customers based on unpublished
criteria, and don't guarantee to offer free and equal access to any
sites that I choose to visit. The Internet that Verizon and Comcast want
to offer isn't the Internet that I want to be a part of; my Internet
doesn't have second-class citizens, which is the only sort that they
want to allow me to be.

believed to be clean.