Speakeasy alternatives

On Thu, Mar 29, 2007 at 12:55:55PM -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:
> but could allow low speeds in reverse. I don't know if this is still
> true since many cable companies have virtually rewired. Now that
> Verizon has raised the bar with an excellent (from a technical
> standpoint) service, their competitors (Comcast, Charter, Cox, et. al.)
> will need to meet their level or service and price. On the other hand,
> the average cable Internet subscriber is only concerned with download
> speeds. We, on this list, are probably on the fringe.

Everyone is concerned with reliability, but they don't usually
know it.

Gamers are concerned with round trip time, and they usually do
know it. They also (as a group) have noted that sufficient
quantity of uncommitted bandwidth is usually a decent proxy for
a low RTT.

VOIP users are discovering that good gaming performance is
well-correlated with good sound quality.

Video users usually only care about download speed, but the
closer they get to multicast realtime events, the more they want
guaranteed isochronous performance. Quantity can usually provide
quality there, too.

-dsr-

--

believed to be clean.