SLES 9 hanging

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 17:49:02 +0000
johnmalloy at comcast.net wrote:

> I have a SLES 9  system (which is new to me) that keeps  hanging.
>
> SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9 (x86_64)
> VERSION = 9
>
> Top does not tell me much.
>
> Anyone know where to look for the cause of the hanging?
Is this hang during boot?
You can set the boot flags to verbose. This can be done
in /boot/grub/menu.lst:
"splash=verbose showopts " is what I have or you can set it up when you
boot. At the initial boot menu, touch any key, then you should have a
menu of F keys. One key should bring up a pulldown menu with something
like "verbose", "native", "silent", but you should be able to switch to
verbose at any time.

What most likely is happening, is that it is hanging on hardware
detection. You also might want to add the kernel flags such as NOACPI
(you generally get that when booting in safe mode).
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group