Drupal: vote up or down

Hello:

I've got a web site, and it needs a gallery for pictures of animated
quaternions.  It would be good to have some blogs to go along with
these, to explain what these images might mean.  It would be good if
people could rant (politely).

I've been managing all my web assets the old fashion way: emacs to
write HTML 3.2.  Last year, I did put in the investment to learn CSS,
and the pages look far better.

Galleries, blogs, and comments look like they demand a different
approach: put all the data into a database, then let scripts come by
and construct the pages.  A little bit of clicking around, and a name
that pops up a few times is drupal (also a friend used it to set up a
schools web site).  Anyone here have experience/opinions about this
"content management system"?  I have done nothing with <?php/> or
mysql, but work daily with postgresql.  I have ordered a book on both
php and mysql.  The folks over at drupal claim they are trying it make
it so you don't have to know what all is going on with those 50 tables
in the mysql database (but it might help).

Before I dive in, any advice?
doug

believed to be clean.