Laptops with ATI video cards

David,

I used a Clevo with an ATI video card with Ubuntu for quite a while. If
you don't care about acceleration you should be fine. ATI does have a
fairly bad rep for drivers, and I would expect it to be worse for the
specialty cards. I've really never seen them fail in a non-accelerated
environment.

Kjel

David Kramer wrote:
> Still trying to decide on a laptop.  Still running around in circles
> because there's so much conflicting information out there.  I'm almost
> ready to go to the next meeting, pick someone's laptop on it at random,
> and buy one of those.
>
> I'm currently looking at the Lenovos. The only models currently made
> with 15.4" screens are the T60p, which has a ATI Mobility Fire GL V5250
> video card.  However, I found this:
> http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_fglrx
> which describes problems with the ATI driver including lockups, loss of
> accelleration,etc.
>
> However, I also found this
> http://www.protomatter.com/t60p/
> which describes no such problems.
>
> Which should I believe?
>
> Can I choose to simply not install the fancy driver?  Am I only giving
> up 3D (not a problem for me), or would I be giving up more?
>

> Ugh.  Anyone have a laptop with a similar ATI video card?
>
> Thanks.  I need to make a decision just so I stop driving myself crazy.

believed to be clean.