IIC Internet Virtual servers

On 4/12/07, Matthew Gillen <me at mattgillen.net> wrote:
> But why?  The only plausible explanation I've heard is because then you'd
> actually be using the bandwidth you're supposedly paying for.
>
> And if that's what's really going on here, isn't that the definition of
> false advertising?
> "You can use 5Mb/s*!"
> *but we're going to do everything we can to keep you from actually using that much
>
> Someone should sue...
>
> > But, there is some validity. How many people would set up Windows with an
> > unpatched IIS web server. (Now called PWS).
>
> Hopefully if people know enough to set up a web server, they know that IIS is
> crap.  But regardless, that's like saying I shouldn't be allowed to have a car
> because I might crash it.  As long as they release themselves from liability,
> they shouldn't care what you do with it.

I totally agree.  The problem is that they want to protect their
networks from becoming bot nets.  However, if these ISPs kept up with
security research, they would know that malware just as easily gets
dropped on machines from client-side exploits such as the Vista ANI
exploit and numerous Firefox vulnerabilities.  It really doesn't
matter.  They are just trying to prevent automated and worm-like
propagation.  However Microsoft still seems to be spreading like wild
fire from all sides...

But seriously, maybe there should be a certification/credential called
the Internet Savvy Consumer License, and the job of the certifying
organization is to prove that they have the expertise and knowledge in
protecting their network from harm, such that the ISP is also
protected.  They could apply for the ability to run a server with the
ISP, and the ISP requires this license.  Hell, I could see a ton of
applications of the ISCL...heh
--
Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.