Moving a MySQL installation?

Hunter Heinlen wrote:
> Don Levey wrote:
>
>> 1) Take the data files and move them wholesale to the new machine.  If
>> this is possible, everything comes over at once and when I start sqld
>> everything "just works".
>
> I did this recently to move a Geeklog site from an old server running
> RHEL3 to one running RHEL5.  Worked fairly well, assuming that you are
> not making big jumps in the versions of mysql you are using.

I'm coming from Fedora Core 4 to CentOS 5 (RHEL5).  That translates as
MySQL 4.1.20 to 5.0.22.

>> If #1 is a possibility, what files should I move over?
>
> /var/lib/mysql and its children is the most likely candidate.  Look for
> the data directory in /etc/my.cnf to find out for certain.  Also, be
> aware that sockets will not be moved by scp, tar, etc, and they are not
> always recreated if you just /etc/init.d/mysqld restart.  Many programs
> connect to mysql through a socket, and some distros put it into
> /var/lib/mysql instead of the safer /tmp.
>
> Hunter

Cool - I can do that.  I tend to put all my sockets in /var/run if I
can, so that they're all in one place.  I've not seen anything that
doesn't recreate the sock file upon restart, but that doesn't mean it
doesn't happen.  Thanks!
  -Don

believed to be clean.