QTParted and NTFS/ Windows Server 2003

We have a Windows Server 2003 system in the office specifically for a
specific application we demo. It has 2 73GB drives, but the C: drive
was configured as something like 13GB :-( which prevented my boss from
installing some software - it was pre-configured at corporate). I used
QTParted (from Knoppix 5.1.1) to expand the partition which it did
very nicely, but it did not expand the file system, so Windows saw
only 13GB. (I tried the Windows diskpart utility to see if I could
expand it to the full size).  I then rebooted Knoppix and shrunk the
partition, but this time Windows saw 16GB. What I ended up doing was to
expand the partition to its full size, boot Windows, then boot Knoppix
and shrink it down a few hundred MB. Windows then recognized about
70GB. At the moment the problem is solved, but I'm wondering where the
file system is expanded?
I think in all cases, I forced chkdsk when I booted Windows, but the
first time I expanded it, chkdsk didn't run, and I then forced it.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group