M$ Exchange on Thunderbird?

Hello,
My mother currently accesses her workstation from home via an ActiveX
control/program
in her browser (IE only) in windows. I'm trying to get her to switch to
Linux, and she wants to,
but because of the fact that she can't access her workstation from linux,
this causes a problem.

I managed to find her a way for her to do her work without using ActiveX,
but she still can't access her
desktop, which has M$ Outlook connected to a M$ Exchange server. Without
email, she can't really do her job.

A quick trip around google told me that this *might* be possible, but was
not entirely clear.
So, my question is, has anyone here managed to access a Microsoft Exchange
server on
Mozilla Thunderbird, or any other linux mail client? (Or if it's possible to
run ActiveX on linux).

Thanks,
--
Samuel (shardz)