XOOPS: Watching a great project fall apart

James Kramer wrote:
>>   everybody on the forums is bitching,
>> nobody's developing.  what a shame.  there's xoopscube
>> (started by the founder of XOOPS) and some other forks
>> but it's not the same.  so sad to watch the dying
>> embers of one of my favorite open source projects.  i
>> do my part to try and prop it up, but XOOPS is quickly
>> dying.
>>
>> i guess it's time to start playing with another cms.
>> it sucks.
>>

> I am looking for a new CMS.  I have been using Plone for years but it
> is too much work upgrading to new versions and between Plone,  Zope
> and Apache things are changing fast.  I read Eric's lament concerning
> Xoops.  Xoops, on first glance, appears to be exactly what I was
> looking for.  I need an easy to install, use and upgrade CMS.  I would
> recommend any suggestions.
>

> Jay

hi.  you could use XOOPS if you wanted.  i don't because there's been no
CVS activity in a while and the devs don't communicate.  the last thing
they did was total crap and they had to go back to an earlier version.
but the current stable version, which is the old version, works pretty
well.  it's not suitable for a large corporate site.  but it's ok to
hack on.

i'm currently playing with a really neat forum called PunBB.
http://www.punbb.org/
[quote]
PunBB is a fast and lightweight PHP-powered discussion board. It is
released under the GNU General Public License. Its primary goals are to
be faster, smaller and less graphically intensive as compared to other
discussion boards. PunBB has fewer features than many other discussion
boards, but is generally faster and outputs smaller, semantically
correct XHTML-compliant pages.
[/quote]

i noticed some other guys pretty much turned PunBB into a CMS.  but i
guess it all depends on what you are looking for.

it's pretty easy to make your own modules.  yesterday i took a basic web
links module somebody else made and added a bunch of features to it.
today i'm going to try and port an RSS reader to it.  so if you're
looking for something to play with, consider PunBB.

hell if we could talk a real programmer into playing around with us we
should make our own.  BLUCMS?

--
- Eric C

believed to be clean.