Bricked my kurobox

I tried pulling the hard drive and wiping the partition table, on the
assumption that the machine would see an unformatted drive and
revert to its flash ROM, which is soldered onto the motherboard.
That didn't work; apparently the machine still wants to boot off
the hard drive.

I wiped the partition table by sticking the drive into a usb
enclosure, checking /var/log/messages to find that it showed up
as /dev/sdk,  and then

    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdk bs=1024 count=1

I then reassembled the kurobox, but it sill wouldn't boot into
its flash ROM.