4 Gig in new Prec 490 showing as 3 Gig?

On Thursday 03 May 2007 11:46:37 V. Alex Brennen wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-05-03 at 11:10 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org> writes:
> > > As mentioned previously, to see more than 3GB you need to have PAE
> > > enabled. Linux will be able to access the 4GB (or in this case 3.5GB),
> > > but on a 32-bit system your applications are limited to 3GB.
> > > Here is a pretty good detailed explanation:
> > > http://kerneltrap.org/node/2450
> >
> > Okay... So how does one enable PAE?  (I've got 4GB in my new t60
> > but it seems to only see 3GB of it)
>
> The Linux Kernel will enable it automatically if it is necessary.

iff your kernel is built with PAE support, which in my world, is not the case
for the base kernel. Red Hat's stock i686 kernel is non-PAE, as there are
i686 systems that don't support PAE, and will fail to boot. Red Hat also
ships an i686 kernel-PAE package for those that need PAE. But so far as I
know, PAE is really only relevant/needed if you have *more* than 4GB of RAM
on a 32-bit system. That seems to fall in line with the rest of Alex's
comments below.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com