ssh ports

well,

that's the annoying part...
there's nothing when i turn up the debug.  we've setup captures on the ports
and there isn't anything out of place.  in transferring a 500K file, there
might be 4 or 5 retransmit.  the capture shows the stall: packets are moving
along and then stop for a couple of minutes and just resume.  there's
nothing in dmesg or the messages files on either server.  on the target
host, there are several rx_fcs_errors during the transfer. but, that's it.
the firewall rules are setup to allow ftp. ftp-data, and ssh through and
nothing else.  that's why i was asking about another port for return
communication.

any thing else to look at?

tia...