Icecast2 and ubuntu?

I have a successful setup at home consisting of a VHF/UHF scanner, audio cable
from its headphone jack to the mic jack of my laptop, and Icecast/oddsock
running under Win XP Home.   With that setup, I am able to listen to connect to
my laptop from real player or Windows Media Player and listen to live streaming
audio at work or anywhere else from my scanner.

I want to transfer the software setup to Ubuntu.    If I can get it to work with
little hassle on my desktop (Ubuntu 7.10), I'd plan to replace XP on the laptop
with Ubuntu 7.10.

I've performed an apt-get install icecast* and its packages were successfully
installed.   What is the best way to obtain and install oddcast to capture
audio from the mic jack?   I'd prefer to get oddcast from the source or any
other trusted site.  apt-get install oddcast doesn't give me anything.

Is apt-get install jackd enough?

I've also made hardcopies of the working configs from my Windows box to make
life hopefully easier in the attempted transition.

Thanks much in advance.

Scott

believed to be clean.