kernel modules

jbk wrote:
>> Kristian Hermansen wrote:
>>
>>> libata is far superior than the old IDE subsystem.  However, if you
>>> need to disable it for any reason, you should be able to pass an
>>> option to the kernel like libata=0.  Check the docs...
>>
>> Yes, it looks like libata might be far superior as long as you don't
>> have devices that are out of the main stream. I don't know which docs
>> to read. Libata is too new to be in the kernel parameters doc, and is
>> not well documented itself. Looking for something that the maintainers
>> would never think you would want to do...
>>
>> Jim KR
>>

> I stand corrected on the kernel parameters doc, here is what I found:
> combined_mode=    [HW] control which driver uses IDE ports in combined
> mode: legacy IDE driver, libata, or both (in the libata case,
> libata.atapi_enabled=1 may be useful as well).  Note that using the ide
> or libata options may affect your device naming (e.g. by changing hdc to
> sdb). Format: combined (default), ide, or libata
>
> So in case I'm dense how do I decipher this?

You're not dense, that's pretty cryptic documentation.  I'd try the following
in succession until one worked (independently first, then maybe in combination):
1) add "hdx=noprobe" to your kernel command line, where 'x' is the old IDE
name for the device (ie 'a' for Primary on first IDE, 'd' for Secondary on
second IDE)  (you can also try 'ideX=noprobe, which should be equivalent)
2) add "libata.atapi_enabled=0" to your kernel command line
3) add "combined_mode=ide" to your kernel command line (this will probably
make your hard drives appear as hdxx instead of sdxx)
4) add "libata=0" to your kernel command line (same effect as #2 on your
device names)

Good luck,
Matt

believed to be clean.