Alias or RedirectMatch in Apache

Eugene Gorelik wrote:

>  RewriteRule  (.*)   https://service.server.somewhere.com$1
> <https://service.server.somewhere.com$1>

Unfortunately, this produces syntax errors (Invalid command
'RewriteRule').  I am effectively required to use mod_alias.  I could
try to convince people in management here that mod_rewrite is not such a
horrible security risk, but if I don't have to, even better.

Grant M. wrote:

 > I'm not really clear on what it is you are trying to do, but this is
 > how you redirect all non-https to https:

I'm trying to redirect specified services in this format to the tomcat
instance that handles that particular service:

http://service.server.somewhere.com >  https://service.server.somewhere.com
http://service1.server.somewhere.com > https://service1.server.somewhere.com
http://service2.server.somewhere.com > https://service2.server.somewhere.com
[plus any additional service the developers come up with later, as they
see fit]

while redirecting all other connections to the base URL (the hostname)
that do not get https connections:

http://notaservice.server.somewhere.com > http://server.somewhere.com
http://nonservice.server.somewhere.com > http://server.somewhere.com
http://foo.server.somewhere.com > http://server.somewhere.com
http://*.server.somewhere.com > http://server.somewhere.com
http://server.somewhere.com > http://server.somewhere.com

> then you give an example URL that indicates that you want https without port 8080, which would be port 443.

Except that it is redirected to port 8080 elsewhere in the config, and
port 443 is shut down.  Sorry, completely forgot that yesterday.

Sorry if the first request was not as clear as it could be.  Yesterday
turned out to be a longer day then expected.  And the responses are
greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.

Hunter

believed to be clean.