32- or 64-bit OS for AMD64 Mythtv

On Thursday 17 May 2007 14:34:49 Derek Atkins wrote:
> Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> writes:
> > On Thursday 17 May 2007 14:26:26 Derek Atkins wrote:
> >> In line with the recent questions about 32 vs 64 bit.. If I'm
> >> building a new MythTV frontend using an AMD 64 CPU, do people
> >> feel I should use a 64-bit OS instead of a 32-bit OS?  Or wont
> >> it matter?
> >
> > Probably won't matter a huge amount. Personally, I've been doing 64-bit
> > Myth boxes for a few years now.
>
> Hmm, then I guess the real question is:  how much disk space will
> a 64-bit v. 32-bit OS take up?  I got a 4GB flash module to use
> as my drive for this box so the core OS needs to live on that.

My 64-bit Fedora 7 myth backend box has a full compiler toolchain and an
assortment of libraries, 64-bit and 32-bit, and it takes up about 2.9G of
space. If you nuke all the 32-bit stuff, which it sounds like you won't want
(and don't need) for your frontend box, install footprint should be pretty
damned similar between 64-bit and 32-bit. Heh, my 32-bit core duo mac mini
frontend actually has a larger installation on it than the 64-bit backend
(also bigger than my prior 64-bit AMD64 frontend).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org

believed to be clean.