32- or 64-bit OS for AMD64 Mythtv

On Thursday 17 May 2007 23:03:38 David Kramer wrote:
> Jarod Wilson wrote:
> > My frontend (i686), backend (x86_64), laptop (ppc), mail/web server
> > (x86_64) and workstation (x86_64) have all been running the F7
> > development tree stuff for a few months now, with very few ill effects. I
> > do plan to flip them over to F7-final rather than continuing to track
> > devel (at least for the first few weeks after release, since rawhide
> > tends to get more explodey during that time frame). We can compare notes.
> > :)
>
> Do you know what's involved in switching from F7-testN to F7-final?  I
> just got my new laptop yesterday[0].  I'm under a bit of pressure to
> switch over to the new laptop[1], but I've been holding off until F7 is
> out.  I've always had bad luck upgrading from one OS release to another.
>  I always do a fresh install.  If it's easy to switch, though, maybe it
> would be worth a try.

Its dead-simple, really. I think simply upgrading to the fedora-release
package out of the final F7 tree and yum upgrading may be enough, but you may
well need to enable or disable some repo files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ first.
Thus far, I'm not aware of anything that won't upgrade cleanly between F7t4
and F7 final, and F7 is in deep-freeze mode as of earlier today, so only
critical/blocker bug-fixes will go in from here until release. An up-to-date
rawhide box is going to be really close to what F7 final is.

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org

believed to be clean.