[Ubuntu] Streaming live audio to Internet?

I've just returned to it, and am playing with vlc.   What I seem to have
the greatest problem with now is figuring out exactly how to specify the
mic as the input device, be it /dev/<whatever> or some other way.

Oddsock on the Windows side did the magic for capturing mic audio (only
sound input port on the laptop).  If I could find the magical way of
determining the mic input, that would be one great step forward.

I've tried xmms, dmesg, lspci, and visiting /proc.

I just want a nice, simple way to capture audio from the mic jack and
relay it to an http stream on a port of my choice.   Icecast/oddsock for
Windows works perfectly.  Just need to find the right set of tools and
magic for Ubuntu.

Ideas?

Thanks.

Scott

On Sat, 19 May 2007, Martin Owens wrote:

> Have you tried the VLS (Video Lan Server) which is the parent of VLC
> player (Video Lan Client) I believe it will do audio streaming too.
>
> On 19/05/07, Scott Ehrlich <scott-3s7WtUTddSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I have a Windows XP home laptop that does a wonderful job of streaming
>> audio from a vhf/uhf scanner, with XP utilizing Icecast2 and Oddsock.
>> When at work, I listen using RealPlayer on a Linux box and it works great.

believed to be clean.