KVM + Ubuntu HOWTO

John Abreau wrote:
> The meetings were about VMWare and Xen, respectively. We haven't had
> a meeting about KVM.

Maybe we can get someone to talk about it.

> My understanding is that KVM is built directly into the kernel, whereas
> Xen and VMware are mostly in user space.

This statement is incorrect.  KVM comes as a kernel module and a user
space utility built on qemu.

Xen is highly intrusive in the Linux kernel and is not a mere module to
load.  Xen is vasty different from KVM and VMware in this respect.

VMware loads a slew of kernel modules -> vmnet, vmmon, etc.  So, KVM is
more like VMware I would say,  but it is free :-)  So, if you have some
corporate guys coming to you saying "check out this Xen thing", because
they only know the buzz, you should probably ditch Xen and start with
KVM.  You will be ahead of the game when Xen is dumped next year...
--
Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.