Software vs Hardware RAID

On Fri, May 25, 2007 at 01:02:17PM -0400, Rusty Shackleford wrote:
> That is great,  I was not aware that there are 2 types of hardware raid.  I
> mainly use HP Proliant servers and they have an onboard raid controller and
> it allows me to do hotswaps.  Also Software raid, is that more suseptable to
> being corupted since it lives on the disks instead of a separate entity

No. Consider:

- hardware failure destroys your disk controller

HW: replace the (expensive) disk controller with another one of the same
model, recreate arrays, restore from backup.

SW: replace the (cheap) disk controller with anything of the
right specs. Done.

- filesystem corrupt

HW: wipe it, restore from backup

SW: wipe it, restore from backup