Galaxy Internet Services?

On 5/30/07, Scott Ehrlich <scott-3s7WtUTddSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Does anyone subscribe to Galaxy Internet Services (www.gis.net) FIOS
> and/or DSL residential service?  If so, what are your
> thoughts/insights/experiences?
>
> Do they permit servers?  Block ports?   How is their uptime for network
> connectivity?   If service is needed, how responsive are they to phone and
> email?
>
> Thanks for any feedback/insights.
>
> Scott

[sent once to scott, then again to discuss.. damn that elusive
reply-all button!]

I worked as their billing manager in 2000, and they had no problem
opening up ports, but you had to call them and ask.  They were always
pretty serious about keeping the customer up and happy, and logging
downtime for refunds (that was a big part of my job.)

When I returned to Galaxy in 2005, there was no longer a separate
broadband support group, anyone on the floor could help any customer
with a problem.  This is more because with less dialup subscribers,
the company needs less people to work the phones.  Still, the *paying*
customer's uptime and connectivity is very important.  They are not
24/7, but are around very much during business hours for any help that
is needed.

If there is another way to get DSL or FIOS without going through
Verizon around here, then it is news to me.  AFAIK, they own
everything and ``lease'' certain services out to ``service providers''
(maybe better thought of as vendors), then turn around and sell their
own services for less.  It's up to you, do you want to have to call
the monopoly, or the business that depends on your money to survive?
--
Chadwick

believed to be clean.