fedora 7

On Sunday 03 June 2007 21:27:25 Kristian Hermansen wrote:
> On 6/3/07, Jarod Wilson <jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > s/Ubuntu Feisty/Any Modern Distro/ ...
>
> Remember that Jarod works for Red Hat, so no bias there :-)  I wonder
> if Jarod has really ever run Debian/Ubuntu anyways.

Yep. And Gentoo, SUSE, Slackware, Mandr{ake,iva}, Arch Linux, LinuxPPC, Yellow
Dog Linux, mkLinux, and a few others over the years that don't immediately
come to mind.

> As always, don't
> take anyone's word until you try it yourself.  YMMV...
>
> > For example, Fedora 7 has all the same stuff available. The only bits
> > you have to add from a 3rd-party repo are a few multimedia bits and/
> > or maybe some binary-only video drivers or wireless drivers.
>
> Same for Ubuntu...but likely not any bits from 3rd party repos...unlike
> Fedora.

True. Helps that the distro's financial backing comes from outside the US...
What patents?!? :)

> > /me currently runs Fedora 7 on five different architectures -- x86,
> > x86_64, ia64, ppc and ppc64, and pretty much everything always Just
> > Works. Well, except xen on ia64 right now...
>
> I've run Ubuntu on sparc, x86, x86_64, ia64, and ppc.  Yay for Linux.
> It's not really any different for Fedora...

Yes, that's exactly the point I was trying to make. Any modern distro has
pretty much the same stuff available.

For the record, in general, I think Ubuntu is a solid distro, and I have
indeed run just about every release from the past two years for at least a
little while. Really, all I have against Ubuntu is the installer (I think its
horrific, it makes me gag for multiple reasons) and the multitude of elitist
fanboys its attracted who think every other distro out there sucks because it
isn't Ubuntu, and really have no clue what they're talking about (see Gentoo,
circa 2004)...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org