MySQL RANT was: PVR or DVR for Linux - NOT MythTV

   Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 11:35:14 -0400
   From: "Matt Shields" <mattboston-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

   There's something to be said for such a large install base that
   finding answers and software to use with it is a huge plus.

   I can also attest to the performance my databases are over 130G and
   perform nice and fast.  I also haven't used postgresql, but why
   change when mysql works fine for me.

Databases are somewhat funny beasts -- they're all in principle
equivalent (at least ones that use SQL), but in practice there's a lot
of difference between databases in terms of tools, performance
characteristics (not just "performance"), support, system
requirements, ability to handle certain cases, and so forth.  Not
everyone needs a full RDBMS, but people (and applications) who do need
one tend to rely very heavily on it.

My recollection is that MySQL does not fully implement SQL, although I
don't remember exactly what it is that's missing.  If you need that
functionality it's probably a deal breaker; if not, you may not care.

130 GB isn't that big of a database, and more importantly, it's a
matter of exactly what you're doing.  If you're just extracting
properly indexed rows from a single table with no joins then any
database should perform well (and you don't really need an RDBMS for
that kind of application anyway).  But not every application is that
simple.

   believed to be clean.