MySQL RANT was: PVR or DVR for Linux - NOT MythTV

markw-FJ05HQ0HCKaWd6l5hS35sQ at public.gmane.org wrote:
> I can categorically say that *any* software developer that chooses MySQL
> without a very specific reason should be fired. The "good enough" excuse
> is laziness.

You can pretty much say that about anything. I suspect the real issue
here would be more towards having a _good_ reason, rather than a
specific one. Anyone who has ever worked on a production or open source
software project will tell you that there are alot of politics involved
as well. I've worked on several of both, and I consider myself lucky to
have been able to have enough voice to affect the direction of some
projects. I was most effective in doing this on the commercial projects.
In the open source realm things are much more difficult, as it is often
a much more democratic process. This process can often stifle the less
vocal/aggressive members, leaving only a few to argue the points.
Sometimes that is a good thing. At other times it's not.
Grant M.
--
Grant Mongardi
Senior Systems Engineer